In this special episode we take a break from our series on the new Chattanooga City Council members to keep you updated on the Hamilton County budget that will affect the funding of our schools. We began this conversation a few episodes back with HCDE School Board Member Tiffanie Robinson. As of last week, Hamilton County Mayor Jim Coppinger has proposed a budget with no changes or increases for school funding. In this episode we introduce you to local education organization UnifiEd and I am joined by their Executive Director, Jonas Barriere, and Communications Director, Natalie Cook, to discuss the impact of that proposed budget both for student achievement and the long standing back log of facilities needs that now tops an estimated total of $200-$360 million.
Referenced in this episode:
- Unifi-Ed's website - http://unifi-ed.org/
- "Hamilton County Budget Again Has No Property Tax Hike for School Funding" TFP Article from which I quote from in the episode -http://bit.ly/2s3hD7h
- Updated TFP article on Mayor Coppinger's willingness to increase funding with public support and his open letter to Hamilton County School Board Chairman Steve Highlander - http://bit.ly/2rjn8vO
- Report from the School Budget Working Group composed of eleven Chattanooga business and civic leaders - http://bit.ly/2seXgSA
- HCDE Facility Plan in Priority Order dated February 16, 2017 - http://bit.ly/2ssiUp7